Wednesday, April 1

Fantail versus Fur-kid

With the summer heat beating down on everyone and chasing off the backyard Brown Shrike to seek cooler climes, the Pied Fantails have taken over the garden.

Seasonal king of the backyard: the Pied Fantail

Unfortunately for the fur-kid, whose curious exploration of the backyard has come to mean being dive-bombed by one (or two) very aggressive bird(s)!  

The poor dog is at a loss as what to do with this angry bird going for his butt! 
(domesticated bantam chicken and wild colasisi sounds in the background)


The fur-kid seems to have forgotten his lesson from last year where he would carefully scope out the backyard from the side, taking a careful look at the gardenia bush which was a favorite perch, before making his appearance.

This time the attacks are pure surprise as the bombers come from above at the opposite end of the garden.  The base seems to be a huge tamarind tree.

The cause for such fury?  Well, it looks that love is in the air and the fantail pair are on their way to raising a new generation of little feathered hellions.

Unfortunately, they've already dropped two ivory colored eggs on the ground!  I haven't spotted the nest yet, but I am certain it is high up in the tree and certainly beyond reach to return the eggs. Hopefully the pair has more than 2 eggs in their basket!

Hoping there are more eggs in the nest.

10 comments:

  1. This is such a great post!! A triple grand slam -- picture of the Fantail with the tail up + video of it attacking your dog + a picture of an egg!! WOH!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you Sylvia! I rally miss bloggig, don't get to write much because of work. If I were a little more patient I would've had a photo of the nest! I spotted it this morning!

      Delete
  2. I was reading this last night and I can't help LOL at how the Fantail aimed at Doku ! :-D hahahhahhahahha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty entertaining. Now Dooku (double o) hesitates to go to the backyard. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Poor Dook! But he doesn't look too bothered naman hehe =) I hope the Fantails don't drop any more eggs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I think he's a mix of bewildered and resigned now. The first time it happened this season he ran clear across the yard in fright!
      I found the nest na! I guess there are still eggs cause I can see mum's/dad's vent and tail hanging out.

      Delete
    2. I hope our wishful "theory" about that nest is true! ;)

      Delete
    3. who knows? Maybe. :-) That will surely be one for the books!

      Delete
  4. Hi there I am writing a book on birds could you allow me access to use the photo of the fantail above, I will give credits of course. Thanks a lot this is a really cool blog!
    -Katie Sutcliffe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, sure. Let' me know when your book comes out so I can get a copy. :-)

      Delete